What Are You Thankful For?
2020 has been a whirlwind. Hasn’t it? COVID-19. Political Unrest. Economic Turmoil.
But tomorrow is Thanksgiving. And I believe evaluating what we have to be thankful for can be extremely healing in the chaos of 2020. Because no matter the environment we’re thrown into, I truly know and have faith that we have things in our lives that bring us joy and peace, allowing us to give thanks.
So, out of curiosity and also to encourage my fellow co-workers to think about the joy and blessings in their lives, I went around and asked them what they were thankful for without any other prompting or giving them too much time to think. In the moment and on the spot, here’s what they said.
“I am very thankful for my parents who have helped my son with remote learning this year. And I am very thankful for the love present in my blended family.”
“I am thankful that my loved ones are in good health and alive.”
“I am thankful that we have the technology and the capability to connect with people throughout this time even through we can’t be together in person.”
“I am thankful for a supportive boyfriend that pushes me to do my best every day.”
“I am thankful for Omaha welcoming me.”
“I am thankful for our growing Firm family. We’ve been able to add new people despite COVID, and it has been exciting to see everyone grow.”
“I am thankful for this wonderful position at the Firm, my amazing fiancé, my chunky cat, and my favorite tea.”
“I have been here for a bit over 5 years now. For one thing, I’ve seen it grow. And I am thankful I have been part of that. I have learned an immeasurable amount. I’ve been going to college the whole time. Cortney and everyone here have been really flexible; I’ve worked a lot of different positions. So, I am grateful to see this business grow. And I am grateful that when the pandemic hit, the business not only survived, but thrived against my greatest fears and continues to thrive. I am grateful for the diversity of the business. Until Jared was here, I’ve always bragged that I was the only guy working in this business. And I thought that was fantastic. To be around a bunch of really powerful women who are good leaders. So, I have a lot to be thankful for.”
“I am thankful for a lot: family, friends, and my health after COVID.”
“I am thankful for my coworkers who are always there to put a smile on my face. And my family who I am unable to see for Thanksgiving this year.”
“New beginnings and supportive friends.”
“I am thankful that my brother is getting out of the marines in two weeks after being in for over a decade and 7 tours across the planet.”
Going from office to office, hearing these answers, brought me a lot of joy. I am thankful that we are able to continue working from our building and that I am able to see my coworkers every day.
When I went into Anya’s office to ask her about what she’s thankful for, she flipped it around on me, saying, “Okay, your turn.” Also not being too prepared, this is what I said.
“I am thankful for the many ways I’ve grown this year. I think with the current situation of the pandemic, as well as graduating from college and moving to a new city, I’ve been challenged in a lot of ways. So, I am thankful for the people who’ve come along side me, and who have challenged me and seen me through that growth.”
I encourage you during this holiday, even if you are unable to spend it with family and friends, to think about what you are thankful for. No matter how big or small. Take time to rest and heal. Love those around you. Whether physically or through a screen. Give thanks. No matter how difficult.
From everyone here at The Firm, we are sending our love and blessings.
- Learning From General Mills and Shrimp Tails
- 11 Years of Omaha Magazine’s “Best of B2B”
- Due Diligence: Preparation is Key
- Your Business as a Machine: Exit Planning Is Not Just for Exiting
- 10 Industries That Will See Post-Pandemic Profits
- Self-Care in a Pandemic
- Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- 5 Most Influential Women in the US
- Advertising Industry Outlook – Adapting Strategies
- How Important Is Due Diligence?
- 6 Best Christmas Movies of All Time
- Construction Industry Outlook – Remodeling & Renovation
- 4 Upcoming Business Trends of 2021
- Industries Booming During COVID-19
- Why it Makes Sense to Carry as a Seller
- Let's Talk About Pets
- What Exactly Are the Benefits of an SBA Loan?
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014