Confidential Business Reviews
Through the buyer's eyes
One of the services provided by The Firm Business Brokerage is creating a Confidential Business Review (CBR)—a comprehensive look at every aspect of a business that would be of interest to a potential buyer. A CBR is much more than just a set of financials. It’s a way to position a company that makes it attractive to certain buyers, or presents an opportunity that might not otherwise be apparent. Dan Hayes, Research Analyst for The Firm, gives his unique insight into how he prepares CBRs and why he has such a passion for detecting all intricate insights of a business.
When drafting a CBR, Hayes said he approaches it from the buyer’s perspective. “I think about what would be important to me if I were that business owner,” Hayes said. The CBR gives a potential owner a history of the business, as well as a look at the current competition, location of the business, advertising, marketing, and financials. “I try to include areas that would appeal to many different types of people who might be interested in the type of business,” he said.
For example, someone interested in purchasing a restaurant who will be very hands-on with the business requires more detailed information about the product & service, location, and marketing efforts. In contrast, a passive owner interested in it as an investment opportunity might want a more managerial analysis.
Each CBR is truly customized, all the way down to current staffing, photos and marketing materials that provides a better understanding of the business to potential buyers. With a background being a business owner himself, Hayes brings a lot of experience to his position. “In analytics you have to understand what individuals want, and I’ve developed an instinct for figuring that out and putting it all together, like a puzzle,” he said.
He has also practiced the martial art Aikido for 29 years and taught it for the last 18. “I’ve had to take something that is uniquely Japanese from a cultural perspective and teach it to a Western audience,” he explained. “I’m always trying to reframe it into something my students can understand, and that’s what I do at The Firm. What we offer in the CBRs is valuable, so I frame the message that anyone can understand it in their own way.”
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014