Below Ground Sampling and Well Installation & Abandonment - 85% Absentee Owner
Located in Chicagoland and servicing Illinois & Indiana!
Providing environmental services in groundwater, soil, soil vapor, well installation and abandonment, and being principally located in the Chicagoland area, this professional environmental drilling company has been providing expert soil and water evaluation services since 1996. The owner spends less than 15% of his time in the field and this can be easily absorbed by current employees. They have completed projects in 27 states, but typically focus their efforts on acquiring work in the Heartland, specifically Illinois and Indiana. When an environmental consultant needs subsurface samples, this team of seven drives to the site (7 trucks & 5 trailers included), drills the sample, and provides a workspace for an outside consultant to do their testing.
Currently, this company does not do any in-house sample testing, they simply collect the sample and provide it to the environmental consultant. Adding an analyst, however, is an area for growth that could potentially bring in additional projects. Additional areas of growth can be found in geotechnical drilling as well as maximizing utilization and assets.
- No professional license or industry expertise required to operate this business.
- Current space is perfectly suited for the business and leaves plenty of room for expansion.
- Purchase includes $841,489 worth of equipment such as specialty drilling rigs and geoprobe tools.
- Great potential for growth without increasing overhead.
- Revenue: $1,168,779
- Cash Flow: $364,281
- Year Established: 1996
- Headquarters: Chicagoland, with satellite in Cincinnati
- Service Area: Work is mostly completed in Illinois and Indiana
- Clients: Environmental consultants, commercial property owners, realtors and bankers
- Services: Subsurface sampling for environmental testing: groundwater, soil, soil vapor, well installation and abandonment
- Building: 3,000 sq. ft.: Steel frame building with office & shop, 3 overhead doors with indoor parking
- Reason for Selling: Retirement
- Employees: 7: 5 FT, 1 PT, 1 FT 1099
- Seller Training Period: 1 year
- Growth Opportunities: Build in-house analytics, maximize utilization, add geotechnical services, quarterly ground water monitoring, NPDES sampling
- Current Owner’s Responsibilities: Owner spends less than 15% of his time in the field- this can be easily absorbed
Total Employees: 7
- 5 Full-time
- 1 - FT 1099 Contractor
- 1 Part-time
- As needed assistance
None of the employees need specialized degrees to do their work. The company provides extensive on-the-job training, and the field works have between 2-15 years of experience.
Prior experience is not necessary because this company prides itself on being able to train anyone.
This company has completed work in 27 states. They can work in most mainland states where they can obtain the required licensing or where there are no requirements. This team will travel wherever the client pays them to go! Historically, most projects are completed in the following states:
- West Virginia
- Subsurface sampling for environmental testing
- Soil vapor
- Shallow and small diameter monitoring well installation and abandonment services
- On-Site Analytical:
- EPA Method 8260 (VOCs, VPH, and GRO)
- EPA Method 8270 (PNAs, BNAs, EPH, and DRO)
- EPA Method 8082 (PCBs)
- EPA Method 8081 (Pesticides)
- EPA Method 8095 (Explosives)
- EPA Method 7473 (Mercury)
- EPA Method 6020/6010 (Metals)
The largest project was $70,000.
Typical clientele includes:
- Environmental consultants
- Commercial property owners
The company's main clients are environmental consultants who are doing work for property owner or a prospective property owner. With new regulatory and compliance issues, many banks will not loan or foreclose on a property without performing an environmental test. Tests are also required before new construction or erecting cell-phone towers. Those owners hire environmental consultants, and the consultants hire this company to drill out the samples for analysis.
This company has a wide customer base and most of it is repeat business. They worked with over 150 different customers in 2019, and they are all diverse. The company’s largest customer only generates about 8% of the company’s work.
- List Price: $1,450,000
- Avg. Revenue per Job: $20,000 - $30,000
- Cash Flow: $364,281
- Assets: $841,489
- Vehicles: $435,756
- Furniture & Fixtures: $11,527
- Equipment: $178,938
- Website: $13,976
- A/R: $201,292
* 58% Collateralized *
*See additional asset information in the attachments
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||Tax Return||Tax Return||Tax Return||Notes|
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$232,917||$178,871||$32,471|
|Compensation to Owner with Tax||$37,000||$46,584||$41,070|
|Meals & Entertainment & Travel||$3,485||$18,506||$18,571||Personal expense|
|Contributions/Donations and Gifts||$956||$150||$4,804||Non-onward going expense|
|Health and Life Insurance||$35,047||$33,231||$29,863||Personal expense|
|Cell Phone||$849||$3,589||$2,245||Personal expense|
|Vehicle/Auto, Fuel, Insurance||$3,683||$19,291||$20,737||Personal expense|
|Retirement Contribution||$1,110||$1,110||$1,110||Paid to owner|
|Rent to Owner||$32,094||$29,771||$38,695||Personal expense|
|GM to Replace||$-70,000||$-70,000||$-70,000|
|Generator for Truck||$0||$3,952||$0|
|Engine in Geoprobes||$0||$0||$0|
|Legal and Professional||$8,940||$0||$0|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$364,281||$375,168||$241,173|
|Profit Margin||31.17 %||32.08 %||22.03 %|
- 31% profit margin
- Seller is currently running personal expenses through the company. Those expenses, along with one-time expenses have been added back to show true profitability
- Once personal expenses are accounted for, this company has consistently seen over 20% profit margins
- Mobile Lab:
- Mobile lab services were formerly an integrated part of this business. After the employee who completed analytics moved on, the owner focused on sampling rather than testing. This is a viable way to increase revenue, capture additional customers seeking an all-in-one service, or to offer testing-only services to customers. This would be possible with the addition of an analyst to the team, but revenue is likely to cover the additional overhead for a well-trained team member.
Offer Price: $
% Buyer Cash Down at Closing: $
% Seller Carry Back via Promissory Note: $
year term at a rate of %
% of Purchase Price secured by Buyer and Seller
Total Bank Loan Need: $
% of Purchase Price
Desired Loan Type:
Desired Bank Terms: year term at a rate of %
Total Business Assets, Inventory, and A/R: $
Total Undercollateralized Loan: $
|Monthly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Monthly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Total Monthly Debt Service:||$|
|Total Yearly Debt Service:||$|
Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio
The bank will require a minimum ratio of 1.5 to be lendable.
2020 Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||$|
Buyer's Net Operating Income (NOI)
The amount of money the Buyer will retain as profit.
2020 Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||-$|
Buyer's Return on Investment (ROI)
The rate of return on the Buyer's down payment.
|Document Title / Description|
This folder is empty.
Access to this Deal Room is restricted
Would you like to access the deal room?Yes, please
Already have an account? Log in here.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: